Thursday, April 3, 2008

Immortality.....

Thursday night I saw a news special on ABC about living till 150. It was an fascinating report. But it got me thinking.

I don't doubt on the science they are doing. I have no objection on stem cell research. What I was thinking about is that should we live that long or longer.

In the show a few experts predict that human can live for hundreds of years. Living till one hundred don't worries me. But I have my worry on the environmental and social impact if human can live longer.

We, the human population, are over populating. Yet so many people are starving and dying. Instead of extending the life of those who already lived a lifetime, why not extend the life of those who barely experience life.

With people living longer, population increase. So how are we supposed to feed every one? Food shortage are already a problem. What about where everyone are going to live? We only have so much space to use. The environmental effect of housing and caring would be huge, not to mention how much waste everyone would produce.

They did talk about age discrimination on the show. I agree on how this would be. There would be about five to six generation living together. There would be at least three to four generation gap.

As human age, the brain deterioration or the person's mind would grow crazy with wisdom. Can a person's mind handle all the knowledge or wisdom of hundreds of years.

Should we mess with the chain evolution? or for some people god's design. I think we should continue with research but not applying them yet. Wait till humanity is ready. We shouldn't mess with natural evolution and natural selection.

"Prepare for unforeseen consequence."

No comments: